Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easy Homemade Lemon Chicken Recipe

Cooking is one of my absolute favorite things to do.
I have been cooking for most of my life (starting with making cookies with my mom in elementary school), so naturally I have learned the skills necesary for culinary improvisation.

A few nights ago, I put these skills to the test, and made lemon chicken, without a recipe.

It turned out wonderfully, so I decided to share it here. It only uses a  few ingredients:

Chicken
Cornstarch
Chinese 5 spices (explained below), or any other spice you prefer
Oil
Lemon juice
More cornstarch
Honey
Sesame seeds (optional)
Salt to taste

For the chicken itself, all you have to do is cut up the chicken (breasts are probably easiest to use) into smaller pieces, then coat it in a mixture of cornstarch and Chinese 5 spices.
Now to explain what that means.
This...
 ... is what a jar of Chinese 5 spices looks like. I am not sure where my mom got it, but it would be available at an international grocery store, and possibly a regular grocery store.
It is great to have around for all sorts of recipes, although, it can be mimicked by a blend of regular spices such as garlic or cumin, with a dash of cinamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
You only need a pinch or two of spice, although you can use more.
You can use any spice that pairs well with chicken, and it will work. This is just my suggestion.

The next thing to do is fry the chicken. This can be done in a regular pan, with a generous amount of oil OR you can use a deep fryer, if one is available. In fact, that would probably work better. I have one, but I did not want to go through the trouble to use it.

You can have the pan on a burner set to high, or medium. It really depends on how much time you think you will need for the next step.

Now you cook the lemon sauce. This is what really makes this dish.

Put about a glassful of lemon juice, enough honey to sweeten the juice (taste it to find out), and a spoonful of cornstarch that is already mixed in with a bit of water or lemon juice, in a small saucepan.

Cook on high or medium until it is thick, and bubbling.

When the chicken is done, pour the sauce over the chicken, and if you want spinkle some sesame seeds on top of this. You can find sesame seeds at an international grocerie store, or a foreign foods section of a regular grocerie store.

I apologize for my lack of measurements. I never measure when I make up stuff.
 Estimated, the ingredients are as follows:

2-3 chicken breasts
As much cornstarch as it takes the cover the chicken, about 1/2 cup to a cup

A pinch of whatever spice you use
1/4 cup of oil for frying without a deep  fryer
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1/4 cup of honey
2 tablespoons of cornstarch for the sauce
A pinch of salt
LOTS of sesame seeds
(I love sesame seeds!)

And here is what the finished product looks like...


I apologize for the unsightly styrofoam plate. I just really did not want to do dishes :)

But seriously, this turned out to be so delectable. :)

I kind of want to make more now....

But in any case, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment