Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bonsai!!!

For years I have wanted to try making bonsai. Now, I have actually started.
Bonsai, the art of styling miniature trees, technically originated in ancient china. It is in Japan, however, that was developed into the art form it is today.
And, I did not realize this until i did some research, but there is quite an artistic community devoted the care, growing, and creative styling of miniature trees. I also found out that one of the main goals of this art is to mimic tree forms found in nature.

After doing a bit of research, I went to a nursery down the road and got a dogwood bush. Yes, a bush. At first I thought it was a tree, and by the time its shrubiness became apparent, I had already become attached to this adorable little plant. Also, I found --also in the course of my research-- that many types of shrubs work as bonsai as well.

I took the tree home, and started the process of shaping the branches with wire. This technique uses the natural adaptability of plants to create a desired shape by coiling wire around branches, bending them a certain way, and keeping the wire in place for 3-6 months.

I did not think to take a picture of the dogwood before doing this, but it really looked just like any sapling or young shrub.

Here is a picture of how I decided to style the tree:

This is based on a style known as "partial cascade". In about 3 months I will take off the wire, and see what to do next.
I also planted some japanese maple seeds, which will take several years, and various steps, to get to a point where I can do anything with them.
But for now, I can safely say that I will be trying more of this art in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment